Friday, August 14, 2009

No more dieting

O.k., let’s put it that way. I have been struggling with my weight since fifteen years.
After giving birth to my second beautiful son, I have 60 pounds to lose.
I did try, a number of times, sometimes with success, a number of diets. The South beach diet, the Atkin diet, the weight watchers, the abs diet, portion control, jogging, weight training, even intuitive eating. All those approaches work, when you do them.
I sure know how to lose weight, but I don't do it. Or I do it and then I sabotage myself and stop. I am not alone. Everybody does. People diet, lose, then stop and gain all the weight back, and then start again.It is the most common and the most absurdic situation in the world.
My thought about this: the failure of dieting is because it forces people to focus on food. And the more they focus on food the more they become obsess with it.
I intend to find another way to do this. So, guess what: I am calling it off. No more dieting. I am done. I have enough. I am making myself miserable by trying all kinds of diets and I am making all kind of people richer, again and again and again. The only thing it accomplishes: making me feel powerless. But I still intend to lose those sixty pounds. MY way. I am getting started now. And my journey does not begin with a meal plan. In fact, it is not beginning with food. It is beginning with the end of self hatred.

How? By facing the truth: I do not like my body and I have proven to myself at several occasion that I have no will power, no courage at all for changing it by dieting.
Knowing that, the only logical thing to do is to accept the body I have right now, after all it created two beautiful children and brought me to all kind of places and cleans the house and cooks for everybody. So now, how to work on self acceptance? Check my next post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment